Democrats have taken the house by 39! This gives our party the ability to set the agenda for the coming weeks and months ahead. Although the corrupt Trump administration should be held accountable for its misdeeds, the Democrats must push forward with a positive agenda that will better the lives of all Americans. We at DJOP believe that the Democrats should make the following issues a priority:
- The ACA needs to be strengthened and improved so all Americans can receive affordable quality health care. We support lowering the Medicare eligibility age to 55.
- The minimum wage must be raised so people can earn enough to reasonably support themselves.
- We must rejoin the Paris environmental agreement. Congress should do everything in its power to limit climate change. It is a duty we owe to our children and grandchildren.
- Common sense gun reforms such as universal background checks and the reinstatement of the assault weapons ban. We have had enough of thoughts and prayers.
- Citizens United should be overturned by Congress to limit the impact of money inpolitics.
- Reinstatement of the Voting Rights Act in addition to securing our elections.
- Infrastructure—we must rebuild America’s roads and bridges as well as rail to move us forward and keep our nation competitive.
- Comprehensive immigration reform and protection of the Dreamers.